Wednesday, May 16, 2007

IL FORNO CLASSICO Review

Il Forno Classico
2121 Golden Centre Ln. #10
Gold River, CA 95670

Not to be confused with Il Fornaio.

For one reason or another, I have ended up eating here, mainly for lunch, about eight (8) times in the last three months. And I had the same server six of those times. So this review will encompass my overall impression.

One of the first great things about Il Forno is the BREAD. I love bread, let me rephrase that I love good bread. I cannot stand white bread like Wonder bread, sorry.

The bread is always fresh and warm from the oven, the crust is just crunchy enough, the just enough Parmesan cheese to provide some saltiness, just enough fresh parsley (or thyme?) to provide some herbal essence when you cut into it. I think the first time we ate there, we finished two loaves before we knew it.

These are the are the things I remember having that were pretty good. The one thing that was memorable was the ARTICHOKE & SPINACH RAVIOLI: with prosciutto, chicken, sundried tomato and sage in a lemon cream sauce.

The ravioli were cooked perfectly, the chicken provided enough of a firm texture for contrast and the prosciutto and tomato brought just enough saltiness to the dish. The tartness of the lemon was perfectly balanced by the cream for a nice light sauce.

The only dessert I had was the MIRABEELLE CHOCOLATE CAKE: Rich and moist, with custard cream center and chocolate ganache. It was OK. The closest thing I can think of to compare it to:



That's really what it was like.

These are the other things I have had that were pretty good.
CALAMARI FRITTI
MIXED BABY GREENS with bleu cheese, walnuts, balsamic vinaigrette.
CRAB CAKE SANDWHICH: with pesto aioli, mixed greens, tomato, served with mixed greens salad with bleu cheese & walnuts .
STROMBOLI PIZZA: Italian sausage, pepperoni, salami, mushrooms.
ROSEMARY GARLIC CHICKEN PIZZA: roasted potatoes and cream sauceCHICKEN SCALOPPINE ALLA CLASSICO: Garlic, bacon, muschrooms, marsala wine flamed with mashed potatoes, garlic green beans.

My rating is 14/20 vs other Italian restaurant and 13/20 vs other restaurants in general.

Il Forno Classico Wood Fired on Urbanspoon