Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Comfort Food

I love a good burger, who doesn't? So what do you do when you have craving on a Sunday when a lot of the good burger joints are closed like Squeeze Inn and Nation Meats? Any man should be able to make a burger. So few Sundays ago, I went down to the Safeway and bought 80/20 lean ground beef and put. (I know I should have ground the meat myself, but I was feeling kinda lazy) I opted to go with the jalapeno foccacio bread instead of a bun and one of my favorite sides, onion rings. I had some Havarti cheese around so I ended up making a cheeseburger.


Onion Rings

INGREDIENTS
1 quart vegetable oil for frying
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup beer
1 pinch salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
4 onions, peeled and sliced into rings


DIRECTIONS
In a large, deep skillet, heat oil to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, combine flour, beer, salt, and pepper. Mix until smooth. Dredge onion slices in the batter, until evenly coated. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

I used red/purple onions so they were a little sweeter and cut them thick so that they would stand up to a little extra fry time since I like my onion rings very crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.


I needed to buy beer for the beer batter anyway, so I decided to treat myself to some Newcastle. Newcastle is my favorite beer. Open and pour.

Overall, it was a pretty solid meal. I had no complaint except for the likely high fat content of the meal. Well I skipped dessert that day so everything evens out, no?