Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sunflower Natural Food Restaurant Review

Sunflower Natural Food Restaurant
10344 Fair Oaks Blvd
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
(916) 967-4331


Just to prove that there is no bias, I AM A CARNIVORE. I truly like vegetables and fruit, but I do not think I could willingly give up meat. I have seen, "Super Size Me" and read "Fast Food Nation", but as Marcus Tullius Cicero said, "Never go to excess, but let moderation be your guide. " Now that is out of the way, let's get to the meat (pun intended :-P).


I went up there this past Saturday and ordered a Nut Taco, a Mushroom Millett burger and a Nut Burger (pictured below) to share between a compared and myself and is the only item I took real notes on. The Nut Taco and the Mushrom Millett burger were good. They both had a nice amount of flavor with out the heaviness of meat.


As you can see the Nut Burger looks like a real hamburger. Along with the alfalfa sprouts it had lettuce, tomato and I think mayo. I am not sure what kind of nuts were used in the creation, I did not taste any distinctly. The other part of the burger might have been made with some chic peas (garbanzo beans) and the spices smelled like a mixture of curry.


The alfalfa sprouts and the lettuce make a nice, crisp contrast to the patty. The one thing I am not huge fan of is the chopped lettuce, I prefer my leaves whole otherwise they kind of fall all over the place.


As far as the texture is concerned it is really close to a nice medium rare burger. Some of the patty was caramelized with a little crunch, some of it was medium firm. The other thing that would have made it better for me, would have been the toasted bread like they do with the mushroom millett burger. That would have made it better.


Overall the three items I had were good and yummy. I would recommend this place for the vegan/vegetarian or the omnivore who wants something a little healthier.

As far at rating it, it's a little tough. I have not eaten at another vegetarian restaurant so I have nothing to compare it to. I can compare it to Boca burgers which I regularly eat since red meat is not that healthy for you. I would say it is a lot better than a Boca burger in terms of texture and flavor. I would say it is a better burger than fast food places like McDonald's, but not as good as a burger from some of the better burger places; In and Out, Squeeze Inn, Red Robin, etc...(from a carnivore's perspective)


Sunflower Drive-in on Urbanspoon