Monday, July 2, 2007

Mustard's Review

Mustard's Grill
7399 Saint Helena Hwy
Napa, CA 94558
(707) 944-2424

This review encompassed the last three visits to Mustard's. One in October 2006, February 2007 and June 2007.

I mean doesn't that pretty much say it all? I make reservations four weeks in advance to make sure that we get to eat here. Usually I am one who likes to try a different place and a different item whenever I eat out, but Mustard's is one of those exceptions.



The Welcome Sign



Garden Shot in October





Garden Shot in October





The Menu




Tea Smoked Duck, February 2007


The duck had a nice smoky flavor that was not overpowering and made the duck less gamy. It was cooked perfectly to medium rare and as with many things the pineapple chutney's sweetness complemented the duck nicely. The sticky rice cake was interesting. It was grilled? so that it was crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. I guess it was an appropriate starch, I am not really sure was would go better.

Mongolian Pork Chop, October 2006

Mongolian Pork Chop, June 2007



Why is it so hard to cook pork? I guess the risk Trichinellosis is too much of a liability.

"The United States, reported 25 cases per year from 1991-1996 with few implicating pork. Documented sources of human infection have also included game meats such as wild boar, bear, walrus, fox and cougar. " Do I care? Not really, I will still order and cook my pork to medium rare if I can. Obviously things like bacon and pork shoulder will be cooked thoroughly.

Anyway back to the Mongolian pork chop. The pork chop is usually a double cut rib chop as you can see from the picture and is has been cooked perfectly to medium rare the two times I have had it. The sweet and sour cabbage provide a nice textural contrast as well as sweetness to complement the pork and a little acid to cut through some of the fat. The mashed potatoes work well as a canvas for the rest of the food. A dish I would highly recommend.

Truckstop Deluxe, October 2006, 12 oz ribeye steak

I just have a picture of this, my brother ordered it and I cannot remember how it was. It probably was good.

Warm Chocolate Hazlenut Truffle Tart, local Guittard bittersweet chocolate, Jack Daniels brown sugar ice cream, coffee caramel sauce.



I am a chocoholic and this satisfied all my cravings. You can tell the the chocolate was of high quality as it had a few layers of flavor not just chocolate. The tart was nice and crunchy and the caramel sauce brought the whole dish together. I wish there were two scoops of ice cream as with many desserts as there is the ratio of chocolate to ice cream is overwhelmingly in favor of chocolate. For me the ice cream provides a break/palate cleanser so I can enjoy more chocolate.

Two things we had last time were the corn tamales and spring rolls. No pictures though. Those two appetizers were as good as everything as well.

I would give this a 16 = Very Good and 16 vs all the restaurants as a whole. My only real disappointment was the menu had not really changed from February to June.