Friday, August 31, 2007

What If.. Fridays

If you could automatically be able to speak and understand another language besides English, which language would it be and why?

Sincemy parents are from the Phillippines then I would say Tagalog.

Tagalog (pronunciation: [tɐˈgaːlog]) is one of the major languages of the Republic of the Philippines. It is the most spoken Philippine language in terms of the number of speakers.
Tagalog, as its de facto standardized counterpart, Filipino, is the principal language of the national media in the Philippines.

It is the primary language of public education. As Filipino, it is, along with English, a co-official language and the sole national language. Tagalog is widely used as a lingua franca throughout the country, and in overseas Filipino communities. However, while Tagalog may be prevalent in those fields, English, to varying degrees of fluency, is more prevalent in the fields of government and business.

Being able to read and write just opens up other worlds for you to explore. Yes, you can travel to other countries and not speak the language, but I think speaking it opens up another layer of experience. You can just sit and listen other people in a cafe or watch local news and feel right at home. Also, I wish my parents taught me Tagalog so I could communicate with my older relatives easily.