Monday, October 8, 2007

Chinois City Cafe

I have been here a few times in the past and thought the food was pretty good. I am not sure what happened, but this last meal was awful. I am not sure how this happens in a Chinese/Asian place, but my rice was CRUNCHY! That is something that is inexcusable in my opinion, but let me rewind.

For an appetizer, we started with a Mushu pork wrap. Not exactly your traditional Mushu pancake, but it was decent. Not a whole lot of pork in the wrap, but plenty of flavorful vegetables such as cabbage and carrots.

Next is one of the main entrees; lacquer duck. It was supposed to be something like Peking duck. It was nothing like that. You can see in the picture that the duck is a dull brown. It tasted like it was deep-fried and finished in the oven; dry and overcooked. Though not dry enough to get the skin crispy like with traditional Peking duck. The rice flour buns that came with the dish must have been cooked with the crunchy rice that I got. This shows a true lack of caring. They were cold and dry.

The Mongolian beef we got was very OK, nothing really bad or good about it. The last dish was the seasonal vegetable medley. Someone please tell me how canned mushrooms are seasonal?
I think the vegetables may have all been frozen they definitely did not taste fresh.

The only real thing I liked was the white chocolate covered fortune cookies, that is it. Until the quality improves, I cannot see recommending this place. Got to either Hoi Cin or New Canton.


My Rating 8/20 = Poor. I would not eat here for free.